Your Mom Called

Making the world a little smaller for family, friends and new friends along the way!

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Whoopie Pies!

Today we went to friends for a BBQ and brought dessert. We made whoopie pies. They are two mini-chocalate cakes with a marshmallow like filling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whoopie_pie

The recipe we used was from Cooks Illustrated. The filling called for butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and fluff. Yes FLUFF! I never thought I'd ever make anything that called for fluff. Oh well, never say never.

They are a wonderful gooey mess. I have never had one nor eaten one before and it was goooooood. They turned out to have a diameter of about 4 inches so we cut them in half but they were still really rich and quite an investment. They reminded me of suzy q but the filling is much richer.

This got us reminiscing about other grade school lunch treats. There's the twinkie, naturally, but I was never a huge fan cuz they are spongy. I definitely loved ho-hos and ding dongs and those yummy zingers. mmmm lemon zinger. I can't remember when the fruit rollups came out but those were so yummy and fun. My sister and I loved Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies the best.

That got us thinking... the filling was very similar to the oatmeal creme pie. So all we would have to do is make oatmeal cookies and the filling and voila homemade oatmeal creme pies. mmm someday.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home